imported sources

Hi, I try to get started on hacking gcc, but find it hard to
distinguish between source files that has its main location in the
gcc source tree and source files that is imported from other
projects (and find the reason why they are included in the gcc
source tree).

Is there anybody that can give me some help?

For example, why are the following packages included: texinfo,
zlib, libiberty? What happens if I remove them and install
canonical versions instead?

I think it would be much easier to get started if it was possible
to get the "pristine" gcc source somehow.

--
Patrik Hägglund