Re: Using of parse tree externally

> >     Denis> I work on static analisys tool. And would like to use parse
> >     Denis> tree produced by C++ gcc frontend. The question is did
> >     Denis> someone did some movements to store parse tree in a file
> >     Denis> and read it back in a program which is outside gcc tree?

> Isn't this the same discussion which has gotten repeatedly squashed for
> making it too easy to leverage GCC with a non-GPL'd project via a
> defined interface?

Yes, that is a concern: proprietary compilers that use the GCC front ends.
This is a especially serious risk for languages that are hard to parse and
analyze, like C++.  There are commercial license-able front ends
available, like the EDG front end, so any proprietary developers sniffing
around would do better to go in that direction, though it will cost.

That doesn't mean that it would necessarily be ruled out, but we'd need
good arguments for how free software can benefit from the capability.

So Denis, what do you want it for?  What would you do with it if you had it?