Re: The old READMEs

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> The GCC 3.0 release criteria include unified installation documentation.
> In addition to the installation documentation listed there, some of the
> READMEs in the gcc/ directory also have relevant information and should be
> merged in.

Well spotted!

> PROBLEMS: Not changed since the start of EGCS.  Someone should check
> whether anything there is still relevant and add it to GNATS or the
> projects web pages if appropriate.

Agreed.

> (An interim fix would simply be to insert this file in projects.html
> as a list for interested people to check and remove items from - but I
> doubt it's useful in the distribution.)

Agreed again. Unless someone volunteers to check this file ``soon'',
feel free to go ahead an merge it.

> README-bugs: Not changed since the start of EGCS.  If anything is
> relevant, it should go in the online bug reporting instructions.

This is interesting for archealogists only. :-)  I went ahead and
removed it.

> README.ACORN, README.ALTOS, README.APOLLO, README.X11
> README.FRESCO (not changed since the start of EGCS)
> README.AVR, README.C4X, README.NS32K, README.RS6000
> README.TRAD, TESTS.FLUNK

I'm Cc:ing the maintainers of some of these ports on this reply.
Hopefully they'll have a look! <hint> <hint>

The ns32k has been removed from our CVS tree October 1st by Mark
Mitchell, so I went ahead an removed README.NS32K.

And unless someone objects, I'll also remove README.X11 which is
completely out-of-date as well.

> SERVICE: Probably better to reference the online GNU Service Directory
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/prep/service.html>.

I think we should remove this from our CVS sources and distributions.
Any objections?

Gerald