Re: hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?

On 29 Sep 2000 at 16:38 (-0400), Phil Edwards wrote:
| On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:05:09PM -0400, brent@rcfile.org wrote:
| > quick question:
| >   if files (e.g., gcc/cp/decl.c) are modified, how can I avoid
| >   bootstrapping to test any modifications?
|
| Good question; I went through this same thing.

is there any 'hacking gcc' document that I've overlooked that might
shed more light on how to best tackle modifying a (gcc) compiler? --
maybe just a list of tools that the pros use to get around the code,
(I'm using cscope to _sort of_ get around the code), a document on how
to use gdb to debug a compiler (admitting my lack of knowledge of gdb),
or is the (apparent) lack of help significant of the lack of demand
for this sort of info?

| 'make all' at the top level (or in the gcc subdir) will build everything just
| once.  If you know you have a completely working C compiler installed already
| to do the build, then that's usually good enough for most sub-projects
| (like C++-related things).  For stuff that affects the core C compiler,
| you should always do a full bootstrap for the additional testing.

has the 'make all' worked as desired/expected for you?

| The people actually in charge will now correct any of my misconceptions.  :-)

I hope _the word_ is that it is sane to do the 'make all' when only
modifying frontend files.

thanks.
  brent

--
All opinions expressed are My own, unless otherwise attributed. In presenting
facts, I expressly reserve the right to be Wrong. Portions of this message