Re: First release containing thread safe exceptions for Solaris ?

Thanks for the response, but I don't think I've made myself clear.

I must have thread safe exceptions and I gather that this is not possible
with 2.8.1.  So my executable will probably be using 2.95.2, with the rest
of the executables using 2.8.1    Will by executable require 2.95.2 runtime
libraries or will all executables (2.8.1 and 2.95.2) be happy with the
2.8.1 runtime libraries.

My concern is that the other developers will have a fit when I suggest
upgrading to a set of later model runtime libraries.

Cheers,

At 02:01 AM 9/21/00 +0200, Jan Dvorak wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 07:42:30PM -0400, Paul Duffy wrote:
> > I ask this because my server executable is one of many included in our
> > product.  The other developers are EXTREMELY reluctant to upgrade from
> > 2.8.1.  What types of problems might the product encounter if my C++
> > executable is compiled with say 2.95.2 and the rest of the platform is
> > compiled with 2.8.1 ?  Library issues ?
> >
> > Cheers,
>
>Unless you know that your program or libraries depends on some bug in
>compiler, it is safe to have binaries compiled by different versions or even
>different compilers. If your code will not work with gcc 2.95.2, it may be
>because of some new feature/bug introducet by it. Please read gcc homepage
>for this, especially section about -fstrict-aliasing.

I must have thread safe exception support.  As best I can determine, I need
to be using something later than 2.8.1 for this.

>Jan Dvorak <johnydog@go.cz>

Paul B Duffy                978-244-4754 Fax 978-244-8917
Cisco Systems, Inc.         paduffy@cisco.com
300 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824