Re: best optimization under IRIX ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Kurz" <mk@baerlap.north.de>
To: "Erik Mouw" <J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl>
Cc: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: best optimization under IRIX ?

> The cc code runs twice as fast on a R12000, again (did not try gcc,
> i guess it will be also twice as fast). But then, the R12000/300 has 8MB
> cache, while the R10000/180 has only 1MB.

I saw some cases where gcc ran somewhat better relative to MipsPro cc on the
r12k than on the r10k, just enough so to support the claim that r12k had
corrected some bottlenecks.  8MB cache?  Your problem will have to sit a
long time on a single processor to take advantage of that.  The r12k box I
had access to had 4MB L2 cache, and my processes were interrupted far too
often to take advantage of that.  Funny thing, my laptop does as well on
Livermore Kernels as that r12k did.  What a difference a year or two can
make.