Re: Adding zlib to GCC

In article <3644.967502382@upchuck> you write:
>Long term I'd like to see this happen; however, recent developments with
>the FSF lead me to believe this will meet with a fair amount of resistance
>from RMS and the FSF in general.

There is the `release' issue raising its ugly head again.
It's already rather hard to cobble together a *stable* distribution of
toolchain tidbits, if you want to merge common parts (to wit: gdb,
binutils, gcc, with respect to libbfd and libiberty). If there is a common
repository, I don't really see agreement as to synch'ed releases between
these.

So, yep, a common repository is just very good and simple for development.
But unless there is a clean solution to the release issue (such as an
actual release schedule, with reasonablly fast turn-around... six months
to one year, and where *everything* in this repository meets release
*every time*), this wrecks havok for individuals, and distribution
assemblers.

Not saying this can't be done, but do you have any thought on how to achieve
such a feat ?