State of exception handling in gcc

Some posts to this list have indicated that gcc has exception
handling related problems. But I haven't found information how
serious these problems are and exactly what kind of problems they are.
So couple of questions:

1. Is the EH in gcc 2.95.2 suitable for production use?
2. If not, how likely it is that the next gcc release will
fix the situation?
3. Should I use the exceptions in some specific way to avoid
the known problems? For example, avoid certain ways of using
exceptions.

In the beginning the platform will be Solaris 2.5 (Sparc). In the
near future the program will ported to Linux (PC) and later possibly
to Windows.

Antti