RE: C# ?

|Is there any real standard for 100-pound yet, or are you going
|to have to try to keep up with an ever changing draft?

Well ever since Microsoft released the .NET SDK Preview all the nitty
gritty details are pretty much available. Most ppl don't know that as
part of the SDK there is a wealth of information available as docs in
\Tool Developers Guide\Docs. These docs give detailed information about
the IL (Intermediate Language), the assembly reference for that, the
run time support needed, Platform Invoke Metadata guide, the
architecture, file format, debug format etc etc. Also samples are
included to show tool developers how to write tools for .net. The
samples include implementations of - compilers for CLisp and MyC, a
debugger, a profiler, metadata and run time implementation.

You can download the .Net SDK preview from -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xml

(That URL may get folded by email clients)

You need a Win2k machine to use the SDK. However if anybody needs those
tool developers docs/samples etc then you could just get it installed
on someone else's m/c and get them. Or send me a private mail and I'll
send you those docs as a zip archive.

|What kinds of copyrights do you need to worry about?

This is something that is unclear since it is all prelimnary preveiw
material. I guess you will have to ask the .Net folks to find that out.
But my guess is that the core non windows stuff shouldn't be a problem
since it is being submitted to ECMA as a standard.

|Also, how tightly coupled is it to a Windowing enviornment?

As far as I could make out the core parts can be reasonably implemented
on any modern OS. All the flashy windows stuff is built on top of that
using the core. So except for some primitives it shouldn't be a problem.
But yes the GUI related stuff may be coupled to windows a little more.
But I think people here should take a look at it themselves since you
would have far more experience and insight in figuring these things
than me. I'm not a hard core compilers guy :) On the whole it looks
very interesting to me. Now I want to see if all the experts here will
agree with that :)

Thanks,
Shiv