Re: GCC's statement expression extension

Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@codesourcery.com> writes:
>Nick Ing-Simmons <nik@tiuk.ti.com> writes:
>
>| Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com> writes:
>| >
>| >I think have seen PRs come in with big hairy macros that use statement
>| >expressions, though not recently.  Of course the only way to find out is to
>| >remove them from the compiler and see who complains.....
>|
>| perl uses statement expressions (in C though mainly) when compiled with GCC.
>
>IIRC, Perl-6.0 is written in C++

Perl6 is not written in anything right now it is just a concept.
Chip's "topaz" experiment was C++ but is still not clear that C++ will
be what is used. Best guess right now is meta-language which is massaged
into ANSI C via perl script.

But perl5 (which does have statement expressions) will be around for a while.
They are fairly localized though so we could get rid of them if necessary.

>and I hope they aren't using
>statement-expressions.

Agreed - we are going to cleanup the internals a lot to only do
"measured" optimizations, not what whoever coded it thought would
be quicker...

--
Nick Ing-Simmons