Re: build failure

In article <200007272002.QAA13443@disaster.jaj.com> you write:

>> > Unfortunately CVS has no facilities for inspecting a repository
>> > /before/ a checkout, e.g., asking the server, "What branches are
>> > available for module <foo>?" and then only checking out that branch.

>> Using our cvsweb interface (from the CVS web page) this should be
>> possible.

>Yeah, but that's cvs*web*; the user has to pull the browser into the picture.
>I'm wanting that in cvs itself... oh well, something else to consider as
>an extension to the cvs protocol.

If you ever feel like extending the cvs protocol, wack yourself in the head
until that crazy notion vanishes.

cvs has lots of shortcomings. It would probably much better to rewrite things
from the ground up than trying to beat sense into it...

(not being able to rename files without losing a sense of history comes to
mind.  Not being able to use import on anything but the trunk as well)