Re: GCC's statement expression extension

    One of the saving graces here is that older versions of the compiler
    are always available.

True, but that's why the SPEC example is so interesting.  The current
version of GCC cannot compile SPEC and I don't think it's acceptable
to say "well, we can get SPEC numbers on the older versions, so it
doesn't matter that we can't get it on the latest compiler".