Re: libstdc++ v3 wants more libio functions now

Geert> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:06:16 -0700, Michael Vance wrote:
Geert> Is wchar_t still defined as a four-byte quantity in GCC? If so, is
Geert> there a document or archived mlist discussion somewhere documenting
Geert> why this is? I know that the spec says it is
Geert> "implementation-dependent", but every implementation I'm aware of does
Geert> it as a 2-byte wide character. This was a nasty PITA when porting some
Geert> SDK code during Solder of Fortune... does GCC support some locale that
Geert> demands four-byte wide characters?

	Glibc uses four-byte wide characters.

Geert> I am just fixing the code in GNAT for interfacing with C wide characters.
Geert> GNAT assumed that C wchar_t was a 16-bit quantity, but we were notified
Geert> by a user that this actually was defined as Integer'Size in GCC. If this
Geert> definition may be changed to 16-bit anytime soon, I'd like to know so
Geert> I can avoid double changes.

	GCC *does not* uniformly define wchar_t as Integer Size, it is
target dependent and conforms to the target system's definition.  As
recommended in the other note, get the value from GCC instead of
hard-coding it.

David