Re: GCC headers and DJGPP port

> Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:15:06 +0200
> From: "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
>
> >   - errno.h
> >   - limits.h
> >   - assert.h
> >   - math.h
> >   - stddef.h
> >
> > These all include definitions and declarations that are intimately
> > related to the libc internals.
>
> I still can't understand why you feel threatened by a file name.

Not by a file name, by its contents.

> PLEASE identify real problems caused by the actual contents of these
> files, instead of merely reporting your imagination that there could
> be problems.

Some of the definitions on these headers are private to the library.
For example, math.h defines HUGE_VAL to a runtime constant
__dj_huge_val.  limits.h defines several constants such as
_POSIX_PATH_MAX that are specific to the library implementation.
These are just a few examples.

Of course, with suitable #ifdef'ing, it's possible to prevent each
conflict as it happens.  But we would like to avoid the need for this
additional maintenance effort where we can.  DJGPP is maintained by a
small group of volunteers; we cannot afford frequent releases.  So
we must try to minimize the problems in released versions, including
problems that can happen when a new version of GCC is released which
wasn't available at the time the library was developed and tested.