Re: My proposal for the libgcc runtime ABI (ia64 gcc/glibc is broken.)

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 03:21:32PM +0100, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

 > This isn't quite true.  We don't install a shared libgcc on BSD platforms
 > because libc has replacements for the most common libgcc functions built
 > into it.  This is an equally disgusting hack because it assumes that the
 > definitions in there will be sufficient even if the compiler is upgraded.
 > I suspect it will cause even more problems moving forward when we need to
 > include exception management support.

Err, which functions, specifically?  If you're talking about stuff
like __ashlsi3, the m68k ports have that stuff in libc mostly as
an historical accident (Utah put them in there in the HP-BSD days,
and they were just never really removed, even though libgcc has those
functions as well).

...or are you referring to something else?

(Serious question ... if I am misunderstanding this, I would like to
understand it better...)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>