Inline assembly......

Hello people - I was wondering if anyone could help me,

I am trying to run a simple test in C that writes to an auxilliary register on
the target and then reads from that register, recording the registers value
for use in the remaining test code.

Is it possible to read a value from a register and use the result in the
program? I have read through the docs but cant see a mention of such a
feature.

Thanks,
Mark