Re: c++/359

> Thank you very much for the answer, sorry to have submitted a non-bug.
> Talk about a moving target though...

No problem. Pedantically, you are right: According to the
International Standard, your program is ill-formed. C++, strictly, is
not a moving target anymore.

Still, since gcc itself is under development, it is a matter of
efficiency to integrate proposed resolutions to defect reports as this
area of code is touched, instead of having to go back when the TC is
eventually issued.

> Is there a timeframe as to when this might make it into the C++
> standard? i.e. at what point should I report this as a bug against
> the SUN C++ compiler?

This is a multiple-stage process; these issues get elevated to "Defect
Report" at one point by the committee (see
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/cwg_defects.html for a list
of core issues in that status today); this hasn't been done for issue
45, yet. Even then, it is only the committee position, to become part
of the IS, a "Technical Corrigendum" must be voted by the Member
States. I believe one TC is planned for the end of this year.

There is a chance that the committee votes down the proposed
resolution, and a chance that the member states vote down the TC. If
that happens, or simply if ISO has taken no action by the time GCC 3
is being released, I believe that your report should be reviewed, and
the behaviour should be restored to strictly conforming with
ISO 14882:1998 - at least under -pedantic.

Regards,
Martin