Re: Next round aclocal.m4 patches commited

* Martin von Loewis (loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de) [20000627 10:14]:

> > Mark, Martin, so far I only disable building the catalogs by setting
> > CATALOGS to be empty. Should this possibly disable NLS completely (seems to
> > be much harder to achieve)?
>
> I'm still not sure how all these things are going to be
> distributed. Will there be binary catalogs (.gmo) in the distribution?
> I guess yes. Will they be in CVS?

They will be in the distribution but not in CVS. CVS will only contain the
translations.

> without msgfmt. If they are not in CVS (as generated files), it seems
> reasonable to require msgfmt unless --disable-nls is specified, just
> as we require bison (and other tools) for people using the CVS.

This was my reasoning too. BTW, I now discovered the reason for the whole
mess. The reason is, that the autoconf macros were written for the gettext
package, therefor they simply put msgfmt without path in GMSGFMT, knowing
that GMSGFMT looks like

GMSGFMT = PATH=../src:$$PATH @GMSGFMT@

So the Makefile will call the freshly compiled msgfmt. While this is wrong
in itself, as then an installed version will be called instead of the one to
be compiled, it's completely bogus for any other package. That's why I'll
change po/Makefile.in.in and simply remove the bogus setting of PATH and
rethink the way AM_WITH_NLS works.

Philipp

--
Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>
Development, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaecker Str. 10, D-90443 Nuremberg, Germany

#define NINODE  50              /* number of in core inodes */
#define NPROC   30              /* max number of processes */
 	-- Version 7 UNIX for PDP 11, /usr/include/sys/param.h