Mangling chaos

Folks --

  Actually, I see that Jason did revert my patch to rip out mangling.
So, this is less urgent than I thought.  Still, I will get to it
shortly.

  Also, the un-ripping made my last posted patch not apply cleanly --
so it's not going in in quite that form.

  I'm sorry for confusing things even more than they already were.