Re: Check-In Requirements

> 2. "Trust but verify (especially when technically easy to do for all
>    involved)"

> OK, the rules are that one is suppose to fully bootstrap and
> regression test any changes that affect the entire project, right?
>
> The time needed to run contrib/test_summary and forward with
> annotations to gcc-testsuite is very minor compared to all the effort
> that led to that point.  If people can't be bothered to do that last
> minor step, then yes, I might wonder whether they really ran the
> testsuite with their change.

Personally, I run the test suite (almost) every time (twice, to
compare with the original CVS), but I have never posted anything to
gcc-testsuite. In fact, when I tried to find out right now what kind
of list this is, I believe it is called gcc-testresults instead, isn't
it?

The procedure of producing a patch is already quite difficult to
follow; running the testsuite is time-consuming, yet easy to
arrange. The difficult part is collecting all the pieces together, to
remember giving the right options to diff, to remember keeping the
ChangeLog separate, when committing, to remember to update the date in
the ChangeLog to reflect the date of committing the patch, and to
remember to install the test case in the right place. I would not want
to execute an additional step, or I need to produce a printed
checklist to make sure I won't forget anything :-(

Regards,
Martin