Re: working around "QImode can alias everything" missedoptimizations

    Doug> right way to go.  I tried playing with `restrict' but I
    Doug> don't know enough about it yet to say whether that has a
    Doug> chance of working - I reread jfc's original email regarding
    Doug> his `restrict' patch and he said there'd be problems with
    Doug> inline fns].

I think `restrict' will do what you want -- in theory.  Whether the
GCC implementation (which is, I believe, based more on my work that
John Carr's) will do it or not is unclear.  The current implementation
of restrict is, shall we way, limited.  Information is not propogated
around the compiler as widely as it should be.