Re: IA64 EH

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 09:21:32AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > No.  The IA-64 bits that were checked in only affect unwinding.
> > The format that Intel chose is extremely IA-64 specific, and has
> > no real advantage over dwarf2 at all.
>
> I guess a different way to phrase Mark's question is:
>
> a) Can the new C++ EH ABI
>    (http://reality.sgi.com/dehnert_engr/cxx/abi-eh.html) be
>    implemented on top of the dwarf2 unwinding information?

Yes, for the exact same reason: dwarf2 only affects the actual
stack unwinding, which the document you mention assumes by reference
from the Intel IA-64 manuals.  What's being described there is
the interface between the program and the unwinding runtime.

> b) Is there any value in defining psABI bindings of that scheme on
>    other targets?

I think so -- at least if the psABI bindings were extended to
be able to access just the stack unwind (for printing stack traces
and suchlike).  I've thought it a shame that we've never defined a
public interface for that.

r~