Re: SGI releases IA64 C C++ and F90 compiler under GPL

Russ> So when you assign the code to the FSF, get a legal contract with the FSF
Russ> that grants you a permanent license to redistribute the code you assigned
Russ> under the additional license that you wish to use.  I believe that the
Russ> assignment contract for new work already involves this sort of permanent
Russ> license grant to the original author, so the paperwork would probably
Russ> require only minor tweaking.  I doubt there would be much resistance to
Russ> doing that tweaking if the other license were another free software
Russ> license like the BSD license and such tweaking were a requirement from the
Russ> author to submit the code in the first place.

Russ> This seems to me to be the cleanest way of handling this particular
Russ> problem.

	A license is different than title.  The FSF could license back the
work to the original author for use under the BSD license, but that is
less than the original author retaining separate title which allows the
original author to license his work to others in any way that he wishes.

David