Re: SGI releases IA64 C C++ and F90 compiler under GPL

    No.  I'm sure I've offended RMS in the past, and I'm sure I will again
    in the future.  However, since I want to continue to contribute my code
    and get it in GCC distributions, I play by the set of rules RMS has set
    up for GNU software and GCC in particular.

I should say that I agree with those rules.  The reason is simply: you
want to be able to say who the copyright holder is for a program.  You
want to say that "GCC is copyrighted by X" not "GCC is copyrighted by
X1, X2, X3, ...".  It's true that adding *one* more copyright holder won't
make things that much more complex, but once you make one exception it's
hard to not keep making them.