Re: (-Os versus -O2 relation) Was: case where gcc generates bigger binaries than MSVC

  In message <200005112232.PAA27352@kankakee.wrs.com>you write:
  > > To: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>
  > > Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 15:23:03 -0600
  > > From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
  >
  > > Any port which uses DATA_ALIGNMENT or CONSTANT_ALIGNMENT to handle
  > > ABI mandated alignments is broken.  There are other mechanisms for
  > > handling required alignments.
  >
  > Does that mean that -Os can work in the backend under them, and if it
  > is given, just use 1?  If so, then that sounds like the right
  > approach.  There are only a couple of uses of DATA_ALIGNMENT and
  > CONSTANT_ALIGNMENT to extend, mostly only in varasm.c.
Presumably so, though I'm not aware of anyone ever using those macros
to decrease the desired alignment.  What I was thinking about was just
having the generic code not call those macros when optimizing for size.

jeff