Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

> I would also like to see one of the windows ports, preferably Cygwin
> port, as a second-tier platform. I'll do the necessary testing (I
> still need to spend a few hours and get the patches out of my local
> tree, sigh).

I cannot understand the notion of second-tier platforms, at all. What
is the purpose of listing a platform there? "will be considerable
interest", "serious problems ... will delay the release".

I believe this is not how it actually works. Instead, Mike gave a good
explanation of how it works: A platform is of considerable interest if
there are people interested in it. By that measure, Cygwin is
certainly of considerable interest.

Serious problems will delay the release if there is a chance that they
get fixed before the release. That does not primarily depend on the
platform being listed as secondary, but whether there are people that
actually do offer to fix it, within some period of time. So when a
volunteer offers to fix a serious problem before a certain deadline, I
guess the release would be delayed even if the platform is not listed
as secondary. OTOH, when there is no volunteer offering to fix a
problem on a secondary platform (or a primary, for that matter), I
hope the release won't be delayed indefinitely, just to wait for
somebody show up and fix the problem.

So I'd very much prefer the list of secondary platforms be removed;
instead volunteers should be invited to report and fix problems they
encounter on their platform.

Regards,
Martin