Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

> I've found it difficult at times even to get OS-independent bug
> fixes (e.g. to the ARM port) in because (AFAICT) people were too
> busy arguing about yet another Linux/i386 kernel problem.

Out of curiosity: Can you please point to specific patches in the
gcc-patches archives, that should have been installed in a certain
release, but did not get installed because of Linux?

> E.g., the NetBSD project has been forced to maintain our own GCC
> branch, because no release of the compiler has ever worked well
> enough on all the platforms we support.  This is certainly not due
> to any lack of effort on our part; I've personally spent at least 2
> weeks last year *just* tracking down random compiler bugs.

Same question here: Have these patches been submitted to GCC in a
timely manner? Did you get an indication as to why they were not
installed? Are they installed in GCC now?

I don't question that you are putting great efforts into improving the
GCC sources for use in NetBSD, I just wonder whether you put effort
into contributing back to GCC. Looking at ChangeLog and ChangeLog.1 as
of today (i.e starting July 1998), I see two patches

Fri Mar 26 01:59:15 1999  "Charles M. Hannum"  <root@ihack.net>
Wed Jan  6 02:23:36 1999  "Charles M. Hannum"  <root@ihack.net>

I also found two patches by Chris Demetriou, both dated this April. I
really wonder what happened to your other changes.

Regards,
Martin