Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

    David> On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 04:37:39PM -0700, Richard Henderson
    David> wrote:
    >> On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 06:55:13PM -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
    >> > When you propose making libgcc a shared library on many
    >> systems, > do you mean GNU/Linux and other open source
    >> operating systems, or are you > referring to most commercial
    >> operating systems as well?
    >>
    >> I'm referring to most everyone.

    David> ..snip..

    David> It really sounds like the whole shared libgcc issue is to
    David> fix mis-designs in Linux's libc

There may have been mis-designs in Linux's libc; I don't know one way
or the other.

But, the problem affects *all* platforms on which GCC is shipped and
on which you can make a shared library that links against libgcc.

The basic issue is that there is some (necessarily) global state that
must be maintained through an entire application in order to do
exception-handling, and perhaps other tasks.  All shared objects and
main programs have to manipulate that state consistently.