Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 01:31:44PM -0700, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> Are you so sure that all such possible incompatibilities can be so
> easily handwaved away?  IMO, an inability to come up with a possible
> _real_ breakage of libgcc merely bespeaks a failure of imagination.

Touche.

However, I would expect the overwhelming majority of the needed changes
to be addressable with alternate entry points and internal glue code.

If it ever does occurr that we _really_ have to rev the major version
number on libgcc, then we do.  And it'll be just as painful as every
other major ABI change.  Such a broadreaching change implies pain that
probably wouldn't be lessened by leaving libgcc static.

Were you expecting something else?

r~