Re: GCC 3.0 Release Criteria

> The release criteria document is available at:

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/criteria.html

> I look forward to your comments.

These are the items that are important to me personally and for Stanford's
software installation; please feel free to weigh them according to how
important you feel they are for the user base as a whole.  I know some of
the things that we consider important shouldn't be do-or-die points for
the release:

 - Support for Linux (glibc 2.1), Solaris 2.6 and 7 (SPARC and x86),
   HP-UX 11.00, Tru64 4.0F, IRIX 6.5, and AIX 4.2 and 4.3.  So my vote
   would be for HP-UX 11.00 to be the reference HP-UX platform.  We no
   longer support HP-UX 10.20.  Of these platforms, Solaris is the most
   critical for us and Tru64 and AIX are of lower priority.

 - Support for the 64 bit API and compilation environment on Solaris (7
   and higher).

 - Documentation of what portions of C99 are supported by the compiler and
   which are not yet.  This is probably more a general wish-list item than
   a release criteria, but I would expect this to become a very frequently
   asked question in the near future.

 - You may want to consider using bzip2 as a test for code quality, as
   it's in fairly widespread use and is performance-tuned.  But the gzip
   test may give you all the same information; I don't know.