>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> writes:

[...]

Mark> I look forward to your comments.

[...]

Well here are my $0.02.

You write,

<snip>
GCC Support Library

     The libgcc library should probably be a shared library on many
     systems. As GCC 3.0 will contain other ABI changes, now is as
     good a time as any to make this change. It is as-of-yet unclear
     on exactly which systems libgcc should be a shared library. That
     decision will be made, and necessary implementation work will be
     completed, before GCC 3.0 is released.
</snip>

Do you consider this the default? If yes, will --disable-shared (for
example) enable the default behavior of gcc 2.95 (i.e. both libgcc and
libstdc++ static)?

The reason why I am asking is that the --enable-shared of current
releases (making libstdc++ a shared library) is mostly useless for
serious development. Releasing my programs, I cannot expect libstdc++
- generated with the same compiler version that I use to build with -
be present at the customer's site. A shared libgcc, in the current
version, will suffer from exactly that problem.

I kind of understand that's what the new ABI is for. But isn't it a
bit hasty to say, "we have the ABI, and that's not supposed to change
for aeons". I mean, isn't a shared libgcc crying for problems, more
than the shared libstdc++ (simply because more people are using it,
naturally).

Thanks,
Joerg