Re: [patch] beginnings of the macro rewrite

Quoting Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl):
> Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> said on gcc-patches:
> > Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > > IMPORTANT: This drops support for traditional macros.  I will put it
> > > back if people complain loudly enough.  If no one cares then I will
> > > probably drop -traditional entirely, sometime next week.
> > > -Wtraditional still works.
>
> > It might not get too much reaction on this list, but I suggest
> > you make this checkin anonymously, so the lynch mob of users
> > won't be able to come find you. 1/2 :-)
> >
> > -traditional will be important to support in GCC for at least
> > another 10 years, possibly longer, depending on the longevity
> > of various old code bases.
>
> Could somebody enlighten me about what "traditional macros" is being talked
> here?

And: does this affect Fortran? Preprocessing fortran sources (*.F files)
relies on -traditional i think: The problem are in comments with 's in them:
C     I'm a comment
and
string concatenation like
      WRITE(*,*) 'HELLO ' // 'WORLD'

I don't know much about this issues,
but i know, that Compaq's free Fortran compiler
for Linux Alpha uses/used gcc's preprocessor and
it had problems with exactly the above mentioned things.

Bye,
Martin.

--
The early bird gets the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.