Re: PATCH/RFA : texinfo bootstrap failure

* Jeffrey A . Law (law@cygnus.com) [20000409 15:31]:

> ie, what happens when the GCC build tries to run makeinfo and it doesn't
> exist, or is too old to properly handle the gcc texinfo files.

Hmm, so what would be needed is an autoconf test for makeinfo and its
version and possibly a config option a la --with-makeinfo= to let the user
specify a certain version to use, right?

I'll see if I can come up with something that'll let us get rid of texinfo
once and for all.  Of cause the makefiles would also need to be modified to
make use of that info.

Should configure issue a diagnostic if it either fails to find makeinfo or
it's the version (that is besides a 'checking for makeinfo ...')? I think it
should say something like

No suitable version of makeinfo was found on your system. Texinfo
documentation will therefore NOT be installed.

Philipp

--
Philipp Thomas <pthomas@suse.de>
Development, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaecker Str. 10, D-90443 Nuremberg, Germany