Re: Removing GNATS categories

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > But, you see, there are experts that can recategorize into finer
> > detail.  I know that I have always wanted, and often used finer
> > resolution than just g++.  EH/pt/mi/rtti/vtbl and so on...  I find
> > such micro categories very useful.  It'd be nice for gnats to support
> > a subcategory, then the main one could be g++, with the minor one be
> > even more specific.
>
> I agree. What we probably could do is to add the categories, and not
> expose them to the submitter. Not adding them into the gccbug script
> is easy. Not adding them in gnatsweb.pl is more difficult, unless we
> have two cgi scripts - one for database maintainers, and one for
> submitters. Again, this is a request for perl hackers - any
> volunteers?

I took a look at cvsweb.pl. Unlike gccbug, it doesn't contain a list of
categories; it seems to read the list from the GNATS server by sending it
the `lcat' command.

Two solutions come to mind:

   * Filter out the "hidden" categories in gnatsweb.pl; or,
   * Fix the GNATS server to filter the list of categories, perhaps based
     on the name of the logged in user.

The first is probably a bad idea, since gnatsweb.pl lets you connect to
severlal bug databases. The second means hacking GNATS itself
(themselves?).

Which is worse? :)

--
Branko Čibej                 <branko.cibej@hermes.si>
HERMES SoftLab, Litijska 51, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia