Re: Removing GNATS categories

> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:42:12 +0200
> From: "Martin v. Loewis" <martin@loewis.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>

> The current GCC GNATS installation has a number of categories that
> haven't been used so far, despite the 145 reports that we already
> have.

When we have 10000 there will be some use for some of them.

> I'd also like to ban the lib* categories, on the basis that they could
> go with their front-ends

> libstdc++

I think this one is big enough to leave separate, but I could be
biased.  Or put another way, g++ is too big for people that want to
just maintain the library to wade through.

> With the reduced list, people won't get so confused about how to
> file a bug report. Just how often does it happen that somebody says
> she has a problem with libgcc - it would rather come out as a
> problem with exception handling, or a missing _divdi3 function.

But, you see, there are experts that can recategorize into finer
detail.  I know that I have always wanted, and often used finer
resolution than just g++.  EH/pt/mi/rtti/vtbl and so on...  I find
such micro categories very useful.  It'd be nice for gnats to support
a subcategory, then the main one could be g++, with the minor one be
even more specific.

What to do now?  Well, we can always trim them, as it doesn't hurt (if
they are not used), and later if people using the database request it,
new categories can be created to reflect their wishes on the fly.