Re: Need advice on bounds checking approaches

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

> We have kicked around the idea of two levels of RTL where we do some
> optimizations on the higher level RTL, then drop down to a lower level
> RTL.

Perhaps I could do that in a limited way, by adding a BP-specific
optimization pass after loop optimization that eliminates redundant
checks and expands "check_bounds" into primitive RTL for targets that
don't HAVE_check_bounds.  Could that pass muster?

> Maybe it would make sense to do your optimizations at the tree level?  We're
> working on functions-as-trees for the C front-end.  Just a thought.

It's a fine thought, but I can't do that today, can I?  I only see
whole function mode being used for C++ inlines.

Greg