Re: Collecting more frequently

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> You'll notice that peak memory consumption is much lower now, and that
> time spent in collection is higher. On my system, this is a good
> trade-off, since a peak of 110M is close to the available main memory,
> whereas the peak of 43M in the second case is no problem.

We should be careful not to make g++ even slower than it already became
since 2.95 (due to GC, as it seems):

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-02/msg00278.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-02/msg00279.html

But I agree that memory consumption became way too high as well (three
times as much for some code of mine!), so I'm definitely interested in
such a change and would be willing test any patch you'll come up with.

Gerald

PS: Martin, Mark, the example I provided when you reduced the size of the
debugging information recently also should be useful in this case. If you
don't have that anymore, I'd be glad to send a current version to you...