Re: 2.95.2 missing files?

> I recently downloaded gcc 2.95.2 and installed it on a Sparc 2.5.1
> system.  After installing and attempting to compile a piece of code
> which relied on sockets.h it coughed because it didn't like the
> header it was finding.

What exactly do you mean by "coughed", by "did not like", and by "it
was finding"? I.e. what was the exact input, the exact error message,
and why do you think the error message was wrong?

> Upon investigation I discovered that the gcc package didn't install
> a version of sockets.h and the one in /usr/include was incompatible
> with the gcc compiler.

gcc works as designed by not installing an own copy of sockets.h. If
it finds one in /usr/include that "it does not like" (whatever exactly
that means), it is not working as designed.

> Are sockets not supported with gcc 2.95.2?

gcc is a C compiler, not a sockets library. On its own, it does not
support a single library function (neither printf, nor socket).

> Can gcc 2.95.2 not stand alone as a complete replacement of the
> compiler that comes with Sun boxes?

It can replace the compiler, not the system header files or libraries.

Regards,
Martin