Incremental Linking

Does GCC support incremental linking and if so what options do I have to
use?

I checked the mailing list archives and someone asked a similiar
question and the answer was to use shared libraries.  Shared libraries
are not the answer that I am looking for.  What I want to do is link a
number of objects to gether to create an executable and then relink  in one
of the (modified) objects again.
Something like:
gcc -o myexe a.o b.o c.o
Make some changes to b.c and recompile:
gcc -c b.c
I then want to relink b.o directly into myexe. Something like
gcc -o myexe myexe b.o

Can I do this somehow?  When I try I get a bunch of errors about duplicate
symbols.

Thanks,
Mike.