Re: First GNATS experiences

>  · The field "Release" is mandatory but does not make sense for the web
>    pages. Is it possible to replace this by "Version<br><small>(or date)
>    </small"?
>
>    "Version" definitely is better than "Release" in any case.

I guess this is not possible. The standard GNATS PR fields are deeply
embedded into GNATS; gnatsweb itself retrieves them by talking to
gnatsd. If you'd rename them in gnatsweb, I guess it just could not
display the information anymore, or gnatsd could not process it.

Please see the GNATS documentation for details; in particular,
(gnats)Fields.

>  · I'm somewhat confused by "Submitter-Id".
>
>    What's the purpose of "spammer" and "unknown"? Can we remove both?

The original intent of the Submitter-Id was that well-known submitters
would get identifications, just as the Responsible: people have
identifications. I guess that just won't work well over the 'net, with
authentification and everything, so the default submitter is 'net'.

From my GNATS installation; gnats-adm/submitters:

# The following submitter is mandatory for GNATS to work.
# The submitter field should be the same as your configured DEFAULT_SUBMITTER.
#
unknown:The Unknown Submitter:none:-1:gnats-admin:

# Each entry has the format:
#
#	submitter:full submitter name:type:response-time:contact:notify-others
#
#	* submitter: The name of the site, customer, etc., sending the
#	  report in.
#	* full submitter name: The description, like `Foo Widgets Inc.'.
#	* submitter type: Can be contract type, level of expertise, etc.
#	* response time: If configured with `NOTIFY' set to `TRUE', GNATS
#	  will use this field to schedule when at_pr should notify the
#	  gnats-admin and gnats-manager that the PR wasn't analyzed
#	  within the agreed response time.
#	* contact: Principal contact for the submitter.
#	* notify: Others who should be Cc'd on any PRs coming from
#	  this submitter.
#

So using submitters is probably not meaningful for us; the 'unknown'
submitter is used in case somebody puts something invalid into the
submitter field.

Regards,
Martin