Re: Serious problems accessing cvs

> > The more local changes you have, the more data that has to be moved across
> > the wire.  For each file you change, assume that a copy of it has to be
> > moved across the net at least once, possibly twice (I'm not a CVS expert, I
> > can only report what I see in practice).

> This obviates a lot of the need for "cvs diff" and "cvs -n update"
> and the like.  Much of this (all of it?) is already in the web pages
> as recommended practice.  Always specifying a list of files/dirs to
> work on instead of defaulting to everything has a sizeable speedup
> on my CVS checkins.  In the work I do, there isn't a lot of merging,
> so I can't report any experience there.

I think I understand all that, but I also think this is not the
problem. I'm connected through an 64k ISDN line, and I can see exactly
when and how much data is transferred (through the isdn4linux
xisdnload). So on an update, I see that there is a long period of
activity (about a minute), at which time my files are copied to
egcs.cygnus.com. This is no problem for me; as I understand it
shouldn't be a problem for egcs.cygnus.com, either (we have enough
memory).

The problem is that there is then *no* activity after the last bit was
sent out, for several minutes; I don't get a single bit back from the
CVS server. If I retry the same thing a short time later, it works
just fine.

Personally, I found the CVS update with merging to be quite a
convenient feature, and consider it one of the strength of CVS. I
don't see that I should give up that convenience for something that
may be simple problem.

Regards,
Martin