Re: Does gcc-22-20000228 build for Intel Linux?

> 	I'm told that this snapshot fixes a serious problem I'm having so
> this is rather critical for me right now.

I'm building out of CVS, and 20000229 built for me, on a system with
glibc 2.1.3, Linux 2.3.48. This was not a full bootstrap, though.

> Also, what's the feelings about the next stable release? I seem to
> recall hopes of middle or end of March. Do we think that's still a
> likely possibility?

Do you mean 2.96 or 2.95.3? For 2.96 [if that is ever released], I
think it's impossible. For 2.95.3, I wonder who told you about that
schedule - people 'in the know' know not to give concrete dates, ever,
unless they are 100% certain, and dates will still slip even in this
case :-)

> Finally, is the plan to wait until libstdc++ is "operational" before
> a gcc 3.0 is released or is that not on the critical path?

Whose plan? gcc is a community effort, and various contributors have
certainly various ideas about the release engineering aspect, as
well. The world around us changes, so these ideas change as well.

Personally, I definitely see that libstdc++ v3 is a must-have for gcc
3 - perhaps even earlier <wink>. Some (shallow) testing of mine shows
that libstdc++ indeed works, at least on the supported platforms. I'd
like to see a wider testing of it, and porting to more relevant
platforms; to achieve this, it seems time to have it in the gcc tree,
perhaps with a configuration option to select whether to use v2 or v3
libstdc++.

Regards,
Martin