Re: AltiVec support in GCC

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:04:50 -0800
> From: Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com>
> To: Mike Stump <mrs@windriver.com>

> Since this is an extension to the dialect of C accepted by GCC, I
> would hope there would be some effort to define the dialect before
> putting in dueling patches. :-)

Well, people might say, this is how this vendor defined it, and we
want gcc to be compatible with it.  Fairly reasonable, though long
term, would be nice to do better than this, if we can.

> I don't know as much about the SSE situation, but the AltiVec
> extensions to C have been added to several other compilers

Same.

> and in real-world use for a while now, so there is an existing code
> base to consider.

Ditto (though I don't know how extensive their use it).

> Kumar has kindly provided the URLs to Motorola's spec; is there
> something similar for SSE that we can look at?

ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumII/manuals/24319102.PDF

and if that doesn't work for any reason, you can find it at:

http://developer.intel.com/design/PentiumII/manuals/243191.htm

See section 3.1.3 and appendix C.