Quality of the g++ front-end

Hello,

I am currently evaluating options for Borland's C++ RAD Tool on
GNU/Linux.  One of those options is to use g++, after extending its
syntax to handle some of the additional language features that we
require for our Visual Component Library to function.

My question is: What is your estimation of the qulity of the g++
front-end?  How adaptable to syntactic changes is it?  Is this a
codebase the maintainers wish could be rewritten sometime soon?
Would you discourage the idea of extending it to meet our needs?

Please mail all responses to jwiegley@borland.com

Thank you,
  John Wiegley <jwiegley@borland.com>