Re: Wrapping C++ in C.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Joe Buck wrote:

> > 1) According to the C++ Faq lite when mixing C and C++ code there are
> > several caveats:

> > * Your C++ compiler should direct the linking process (e.g., so it can
> >   get its special libraries)
>
> You can use gcc rather than g++ to link, provided that you add
> 	-lstdc++ -lm
> to the end of your link line.

What is the C++ code is in a shared library?

> > How much of this applies on a Posix system?
>
> If you want to let people use other C++ compilers than g++, all of it.

Um, maybe I am just being stupid but don't most unixes have a standard C
calling convention?  If not how is it that gcc can use standard system
libraries compiled by a different C compiler?

Also how do static variables in those libraries get initialized?

> > 2) Is it possible to get a function pointer out of a C++ member
> > function?
>
> These are general C++ language questions, not for this list.  A pointer
> to member function and a pointer to function are very different beasts.

Yes I know that.  That was NOT my question.  I am looking for a gcc
specific answer.  As I understand it member functions are almost like
normal functions except that there is a hidden this parameter and for
virtual member functions there is also a lookup on the virtual table.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevinatk@home.com
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/