Re: gcc for HP-UX 8.0

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try 2.5.7 and let you know how that
goes. I had all sorts of problems with 2.95.2.
    - The HP version of cpp overflowed it's internal tables. I found an
	  obscure compiler option (-Wp,-H256000) that fixed that one.
    - The HP-UX version of "sh" overflowed some internal buffer in
      gcc/fixproto. I changed the first line to use ksh instead.
    - I removed the -O option because the HP optomizer is brain-dead.
    - In gcc/cppinit.c, the fputs() at the very end has *many* lines of
      input concatenated together which was too long for the HP cc. I
      broke it into 5 or six separate fputs() calls.
    - In gcc/config there is a file named xm-alloca.h, but the source code
      was looking for xm_alloca.h. I merely linked the two names to the
      same file.
    - I built the gnu as and ld (binutils) and invoked configure with
the
      appropriate options (--with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld) thinking it might
      help, which it did not.

It managed to get all the way the the stage1 stuff and then make stopped because
of an unresolved reference to __divdi3 (and a bunch of other similar things
that I don't recal at the moment.) I am at a loss as how to procced past the
stage1 errors. I saved the output from make if the expicit details would
be of any help. Thanks again for your help.....
.....Rob