Re: rfc: build system

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 11:31:28PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder if we're really doing people a favor allowing them
> to use vendor makes, given how buggy they all seem to be...

I'd mostly been thinking of *bsd, to be honest.

> I think most recent makes have the $(var:x=y) substitution notation,

Good...

> I'm not so sure about $(indirect_$(var)).

This is the one that would most hurt, I think.

> They definitely don't all have an include capability, which is
> the thing I find myself missing most often.

This I don't mind so much.  We don't have that many subdirectories
and inlining is still managable.

> You could make a first pass by moving all the logic in the subdir
> Makefile.in's into the Make-lang.in's - those get inlined into the top
> level Makefile, right?

Yep.  The biggest problem that turned up there was that I found I
needed to use `-o' in the `.c.o' rule, which I know several vendor
compilers don't support.  Not sure how I'd want to work around that.

r~