This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Question on -mips switch for MIPS processor
- To: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- Subject: Question on -mips switch for MIPS processor
- From: Gavin Romig-Koch <gavin at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:02:30 -0500 (EST)
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- References: <10001182034.AA03972@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
Richard Kenner writes:
> Why does -mips3 default to -mabi=64?
Because that's what the SGI compilers did.
> Just because somebody has a processor that has those instructions doesn't
> mean they want to use the 64-bit ABI.
No, but it's not a bad default.
> You can interoperate binaries
> between the different values of the -mips switch, but not -mabi.
> So it would seem to me that the -mips value should not affect the
> -mabi value at all.
> What do others think?
What ABI would you have it default to, and why would that
be a better choice?