Re: Precompiler headers

> > Often many template classes are used, heavy use of STL, operator
> > overloading, many inline functions, etc. As opposed to most projects
> > coded in C, there is actually a lot of code in the headers, not only
> > declarations, and the time needed for I/O is not dominant over
> > processing.
>
> For this kind of problem, the real solution, IMO, would be an
> implementation of `export'ed templates.

In my understanding, 'export'ed templates would not be inlined, not? I
always thought 'export' was about the same as -frepo. However, all the STL
stuff would really suffer if functions were not inlined any more. I would
think that teaching the compiler to support inlining of exported templates
would be equally hard as precompiled headers are. Thus, ...

> But then, maybe an easy
> implementation of this C++ feature can be obtained as a side-effect of
> pre-compilation of headers...

... is probably true.

Regards
  Wolfgang