Re: Pre-compiled headers

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 06:26:09PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 05:03:42PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> > This seems inefficent. Why doesn't stdio.pch depend on /usr/include/
> > sys/types.h as well, and include it?
>
> What if, for instance, the include of <sys/types.h> is conditional?
Deal with it. Everything in the include file could be conditional. As
for this, don't include it if it's really conditional. (I hope this
will detect system constants (0, __LINUX__, __GCC__), and not conditionalize
the stuff conditionalized by those constants.)

> Worse - this would do horrors to disk space usage.
The whole /usr/include directory is 15M. I have 700M left on the partion; if
each .pch was 3x the original include file, it still wouldn't matter, especially
as I wouldn't bother precompiling the stuff I never use. I believe that most
developers wanting this feature are willing to make that kind of speed/disk
space trade off.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
If you wish to strive for peace of soul then believe;